Responsibilities and Obligations of a CSIA-Certified Chimney Sweep
Chimney sweeps certified by CSIA (Chimney Safety Institute of America) are held to a higher standard of both performance and professional behavior than those who are not. Some of the responsibilities and obligations of certification by CSIA include:
- Learning about and utilizing the chimney and venting safety practices and techniques which are recommended by CSIA.
- Compliance with applicable building codes, with manufacturer’s installation instructions for products installed, and with recognized venting and chimney practices.
- Educating consumers about chimney and venting safety procedures.
- Continually striving to update skills, knowledge, and technique with regard to current safety practices for the chimney and venting of the fireplace.
- Dealing honestly and fairly with customers and refraining from engaging in any deceptive or unfair practices.
- Behaving in a respectful, decent, and professional manner when serving in the capacity as a chimney sweep.
Proficiencies of a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep
Perhaps the most vital element of becoming a certified chimney sweep is the knowledge gained. The education and testing program that’s part of the CSIA certification includes a demonstration of aptitude in:
- The best practices and skillful techniques of the trade.
- Technicalities related to chimney dynamics and construction.
- Wood burning physics and the formation of creosote.
- Applicable codes, standards, and clearances.
- EPA requirements and solid fuel appliances.
Questions the CSIA recommends people ask of a chimney sweep business include:
- How much experience do the professional chimney sweeps have, and how long has the company been in business in the area?
- Do you have references from current customers?
- Is the company appropriately insured with a valid business liability insurance policy, to protect customers’ homes and furnishings in the event of an accident?
- Does the company guarantee that the person who will perform the work is a CSIA Certified Chimney Sweep?
- Are there any unanswered complaints filed with the Better Business Bureau or with a city or state consumer protection agency?
- What tools do you plan to use during inspection?