Stacey Ridgeway and team here at Mason’s Chimney Service would like to wish all of our customers a Happy New Year! As 2020 progresses, we’re sure many of you are working on some goals and resolutions you set back at the first of the year, and our crew would like to encourage you to add another item to that list – scheduling annual chimney care!
While this may seem like something better left to the fall and early winter months, there are actually many good reasons to get this maintenance completed now. Not only will you keep your system in the best shape possible, but you guarantee a safer and more comfortable household, as well.
Ready to learn more? Great. Read up below on the importance of a New Year’s sweeping and inspection, then call today to get some services scheduled with our crew. We’d be happy to help you every step of the way!
Now, a major reason to invest in regular professional care is due to the risk of fires occurring in your home. A fireplace that is well-kept and run properly can offer a great ambiance to any gathering or evening spent indoors, but when clogs, creosote, and damages are present, you could be facing a disaster before you know it.
One of these risks comes in the form of chimney fires. These occur when excess creosote deposits are in your flue. Because creosote is so flammable, the more you have of it, the higher your chances are of experiencing one of the damaging events. Chimney fires are typically slow-moving and quiet, so you could easily have had one without even knowing it – all the more reason to get that inspection schedule ASAP!
Now, if our sweeps see that a chimney fire has occurred, taking action right away is essential. Your brickwork and mortar aren’t designed to have direct contact with flames, so you very likely will have cracks, holes, and other openings throughout your structure, all of which give flames, gases, and smoke easy access to your home. Any adjacent woodwork could ignite within a matter of hours!
All in all, getting that creosote cleared out and having your system checked over is a must for those that have a fireplace in their home, and neglecting care could leave you with medical bills, property damage, and suffering family members. Don’t take any chances! Call on our crew to get things checked over right away. We’d be happy to get you where you need to be.
Avoiding Carbon Monoxide Exposure
Another big threat fireplace owners could face is carbon monoxide exposure. If you have clogs, obstructions, or build up in your chimney, the likelihood of carbon monoxide entering your home increases, and this is one gas you don’t want to take any chances with. Have damages? CO2 can enter through any cracks or gaps, as well. All in all, having your system looked over and repaired is always the safest bet.
What is carbon monoxide? It is a very poisonous gas, and it’s lack of color and odor make it impossible to detect. Some experience symptoms, such as dizziness, nausea, light-headedness, headaches, and flu-like symptoms, but even these can be hard to detect or interpret. Because of this, CO2 is responsible for hundreds of deaths every single year.
By having your fireplace (as well as any gas appliances) inspected and serviced at least once a year, you avoid the risk of exposure significantly. Another course of action all homeowners should take is to purchase carbon monoxide detectors and check their batteries often. These devices are designed to detect the presence of this dangerous gas, and they will alert you straight away if it is in your home. If your alarm goes off, be sure to exit the area immediately, then call for help from the proper authorities.
Exposure to dangerous fumes and the threat of house and chimney fires are some of the biggest reasons why annual inspections and regular chimney sweepings are important, but other issues could be occurring, too. Water damage, deterioration, and other types of decay can contribute to a crumbling structure, increasing the likelihood of a settlement or collapse, and build-up and poor construction can lead to smoke backing into your home. Along with this, a lack of proper chimney components (such as a cap, flashing, a damper, etc.) will lead to even more issues.
All of these situations are ones we hope no homeowner should have to face, which is why we work so hard to know it all and be the best. We’ve been providing the highest level of care for homeowners in Gloucester County, Camden County, Burlington County, and more since our start back in 1955, and as a family-owned business, you can bet that we’ll always put you first.
CSIA-Certified & Ready To Serve You
To further ensure we stay up-to-date on it all in this ever-evolving industry, we stay certified with the CSIA, the FIRE, and the NFI, and we are members of the NCSG, as well. We’re also CSIA Certified Dryer Exhaust Technicians, meaning your dryer vents are safe in our hands, and we’re associated with a long list of reputable organizations, all of which keep up educated and informed on all we need to know to better serve you.
When it comes to your chimney, you should never settle for less. Count on our crew to help you out with it all.