Reduce Fire Hazards This Winter

The holidays are wrapping up, but winter is still here. As you tear down decorations and get back to your normal routine, you’ll adjust to continuously dropping temperatures. So, now you will want to take some time to ensure your home is safe from potential fires. There are a lot of things that heighten the risk of house fires during these winter months! Now it’s time to educate yourself on the following tips, so you can stay alert.

Be Cautious With Decorations

Decorating for the season is a great way to boost spirits throughout these frigid months. If you still have Christmas or other winter-themed décor up, be wary of where it is place in regards to your fireplace. You will also want to exercise caution when lighting candles. Never place these close to the Christmas tree or near anything flammable. Also, be sure to put out any fires before leaving the area or going to bed.

Still have your Christmas tree up? As it dries, it will become more and more flammable, so be sure to dispose of it in a timely manner. Once it is down, remember that you should never attempt to burn it in the fireplace. The sap from pine trees cause creosote to build up, thus making your fireplace more susceptible to a chimney fire. Pine should only be burned after being properly dried out, which would takes years.

Burn Carefully

When you go to burn wood in your fireplace, use only seasoned wood. Seasoned wood consists of logs that have dried out for at least six months. Burning fresh wood causes creosote accumulation. This causes smoke back-up, harmful toxins in your air, and it simply will not burn very efficiently.

Also, keep in mind that no garbage should be thrown into the fire. If you still have a holiday party or two to host, never throw leftover paper plates, cups, or silverware into the fireplace. This goes for wrapping paper, boxes, and other similar items, too! All of these things will burn fast and produce way too much heat. Stick to firewood when you go to light your next fire. This way you can rest easy knowing your family is safe.

Beware Of Carbon Monoxide

If your chimney is not venting properly, you may face a lot of harmful issues. During a time when your fireplace is put to more frequent use, it is more important than ever to ensure all parts are running efficiently. One of the more worrisome problems is carbon monoxide poisoning.

Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, and has no obvious smell making it very difficult to detect. Have a carbon monoxide detector installed in your home today. This is so you have adequate warning should this gas be present in your home. If the alarm goes off, exit the premises as soon as possible! Immediately call in professional help and watch for signs of sickness in family members.

Call Mason’s Chimney Service Today!

Call on us for all of your chimney and fireplace-related needs. We want to help you stay as safe as possible this winter. We look forward to working with you!

Published by Anastasia Ridgeway and tagged with: Tags: , , , | No Comments